Thursday, February 05, 2004

Rest week

This is a rest week, where I do only 4 hours of training, chill out, and get motivated for the next cycle. It's called periodization. So far so good, although I seem to be eating a lot of brownies. Monday I took a day off. Tuesday I did half an hour of weights - Power Endurance phase, in which I do lighter weights but higher, faster repetitions. It felt good to switch to something new. Then a half hour running.

Wednesday was a half hour stationary cycling, then a half hour running on the indoor track. I'm breaking up the running by doing agility and form drills, sprinting the straightaways on the track, running backward, whatever. I find indoor cardio about the least interesting thing ever, and I'll be very ready to go when the snow clears up. I should get out and ski but it's, like, COLD. I need to get over it.

Recently I reprogrammed my heart rate monitor so it does more things I want it to do, and I've been thinking over the race from last weekend. It was a very slow time for me (24:40), but also very cold and hilly. I think I ran an okay race for this point in the season, but I faded at the end. After 2 miles I just felt cold and uncomfortable. I need to work on finishing stronger.

No comments: