Wednesday, September 05, 2018

Yeah, I work out.

I get asked what I do to stay in shape. It's no best practices manual, but here it is. I'm really seasonal. While it's warm out I'm doing laps at the outdoor pool with all my pool toys (I love pool toys),
joining the rides from the bike shop, doing long solo rides on gorgeous summer mornings, running, hiking - whatever gets me outside. I hate the treadmill so when it gets cold my cardio is nordic skiing, erging (for non-rowers, that's a sweat-dripping workout on a serious rowing machine, probably a Concept 2), and riding my bike on a trainer to my favorite cycling videos. Sometimes I get a Y membership, mostly for weights, swimming, and yoga - sometimes I get bored and let it lapse for a season or two.

I cycle my workouts for strength, endurance, and flexibility. For example, this week I ran one day, did weights and erg the next (o lord my triceps), then a Rodney Yee beefcake yoga video the next. In shoulder seasons I'll join short term sport-specific training classes, like ski conditioning in the fall or running technique in the spring. I ski all winter, alpine and nordic, and ride my bike everywhere I can. I used to enter a lot of events but I have enough t-shirts and I still do the workouts because I'm cranky and can't sit still if I don't. I play tennis, boulder, rock climb, play soccer and basketball with kids, and do pullups on the play equipment at the park. I sled, mofos. I get my family involved, like having my younger son ride his scooter with me while I run or getting my husband to hike up the cliffs near our house with me. Very important: if I don't like it, I don't have to do it. I only do exercise that makes me happy so that each workout is a reward. Speaking of rewards: I give myself a lot of them. Workout clothes, gear, whatever sparks some effing joy. I used to do some insanely hard workouts but these days it's all about what will keep me going until I'm old.

No comments: