Friday, January 30, 2004

Lifting with the big kids

I've been doing this "max strength" phase in weightlifting, which means with every bench press I will either get stronger or drop the bar and crush my larynx. It adds an extra thrill to the process. Every morning I have ever been at the gym there's this very big-armed woman in there, grunting and lifting everything in sight. It's practically empty except for her - always - and the occasional student athlete or soccer mom doing sit-ups. So Big Arms, as I like to call her, never even makes eye contact with me unless I nearly run her down coming around the blind side of the universal machine. She said hi once. That was a big deal. I told my husband: "Big Arms says hi!" Big Arms also has a friend, Burly Man, who starts out in a sweatshirt but soon strips down to his muscle shirt, the better to show off Even Bigger Arms. I wonder about these people. Who are they? What are their sports? Why are they ALWAYS at the gym? Maybe one day I'll ask.

No comments: