Sunday, January 18, 2004

A Swim Less Ordinary

Okay, swimming is swimming, especially in winter - you're face down, following the black line, trying to maintain interest by swapping pool toys every few laps or checking out the guy in the teeny Speedo in the next lane. Lucky me, today there was one under 60.

But in order to get the workout I had to bolt early from my mother-in-law's birthday party. The husband and 3-yr-old bolted right along with me and we all went to the pool for a little immersion therapy. Ahhhhh. Bubu hasn't yet embraced the idea of getting his hair wet and Andy isn't very into swimming, so they played in the family swim area while I did laps. The less ordinary bit came about as I popped out of the water every time I heard a shriek to make sure my kid hadn't just thrown himself into the diving well. Old lifeguard habits die hard. I felt like a duck: butt in the air one second, head up the next.

It was a foreshortened workout because of the presence of Bu, but I still got in a warmup, drill set, a hard 300m piece and a cooldown before, yet again, bolting. I tri therefore I bolt. We're playing tennis tonight so all in all I will get up to my goal of 5 hours' training this week. In my world, cross training counts as much as anything. Propping up Bu during Friday night Rock 'n Skate down at the ice arena counts double.

No comments: