Tuesday, July 27, 2004

vertical

Yesterday Andy and I went rock climbing outdoors for the first time.  We'd tried climbing walls before, but this was the first actual rock.  We went to Pictured Rocks park where you can climb limestone cliffs along the Maquoketa River.  A couple of local gurus (I keep discovering them) took us out.  One of them has come within 1500m of the summit of Everest, so I think he qualifies as a knowledgeable climber.  He also has the body fat of a gnat and scrambled up the cliffs like he was time trialing.  Andy and I did okay.  We made it to the top, or nearly, of several climbs, but today I don't think either of us could carry groceries to the car.  It was a blast.  By the end I felt like I was really getting it and trying things I wouldn't have dared before. 

In winter, they say, we can climb frozen waterfalls.  It ain't skiing, but maybe I could get into this!

No comments: