Tuesday, May 18, 2004

glub glub

Finally went for a swim yesterday. Shannon picked me up and we were going to meet Russ and Monica at the Y to go with them as guests but - uh-oh - they didn't show up. Instead we went to the public indoor pool. I usually go to the Iowa City pools so I'd never been there, and now I'm glad I hadn't. It was small and overcrowded, too warm, and very high on the chlorine. My head was throbbing by the time I got out. I did a short workout: 300 to warm up, 500 in drills, and 500 freestyle, working on swimming effortlessly and saving my legs. My tactic for the sprint tris this summer is to use as little energy as possible on the swim and make up time on the bike and run where I'm much faster. I can maintain about 17 strokes per length, move reasonably fast and pop out at the end hardly breathing hard. I'm just going to have to get over the mental setback of seeing everyone get out of the water ahead of me!

Anyway, nasty nasty pool. I can't wait until the outdoor pools open in a few weeks. And I've found a local place that sells tri wetsuits. I really am thinking about it.

No comments: